Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Poem--Do you remember?

Do you remember the day I spoke of my dreams?
You laughed at the childish fantasies,
Advised me to get practical,
Give up silly expectations,
Stop building castles,
Be realistic.
I thought I was going blind
But it was only my dreams dying
Leaving me little to hope for…

Do you remember the day I planted a flower?
You told me not to waste time,
That the soil was too dry,
The sun too hot, the world too uncaring;
That there was no time
For trivialities.
It turned out you were right:
I never watered that flower,
I simply watched it dry away…

Do you remember the day I opened my heart to you?
You told me it was not right:
The way I felt, the things I did;
That it was better to do things another way,
That I made too many assumptions,
I believed too much.
I never was too innocent again,
Never took people on trust or faith;
I’d lost faith in the world—and myself…

Do you remember the day I took your hand?
You promised me the world and the stars,
And set out to bring them,
As if I had asked for them,
When all I had wanted
Was your time.
I waited at the window every day,
Waiting for you to come back
Until I forgot what I was waiting for.

Today, I let go: of Life, of you…
And I see your eyes ask me--Why?
And I have no way to reply:
I had no reason to hold on…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home