Thursday, July 07, 2005

Short Sketch--First Love

I was twenty two when I fell truly in love for the first time. I had had crushes before, but they were never really serious. But Rishi was different…

I don’t think I really got over it. Even now, when I call and he answers, I am bowled over by the sound of his voice. And he has not forgotten me either; he always recognizes my voice instantly, and he calls me often. I can almost see that winsome smile when I hear him…

I first met him when he came with his mother to visit his aunt. Nalini deedi was my neighbor. I had just completed my graduation at the time and I had a lot of time on my hands. I used to drop in on her often just for some light-hearted gossip, and it was one of those times that she told me that her sister Raji and nephew Rishi were coming for a short visit.

“Rishi is such a nice boy! Quite mature for his age, very intelligent, warm and caring…” She was all praises for her nephew, but I just took that as an aunt’s prejudice. At the time, I was on particularly harsh terms with the male population, and I did not believe there were any worth knowing among them. Having been subjected to two “pennu kaanal” ceremonies (Ceremony of seeing the girl with a view to marrying her) had decidedly embittered me towards the male population.

But the minute I saw him, I was lost. I had heard of love at first sight, but this?! Who could resist that smile, or those eyes? He was the picture of perfection. His features looked as if they had been honed to flawlessness by a Master sculptor. His eyes were bright, fearless and open, as if he expected everyone to be his special friend. His smile, both shy and endearing, reminded me of the sun peeping from behind heavy clouds during the monsoons. He was better dressed than any guy I had seen so far; though he probably had his mother to thank for that! And he was courteous and friendly; altogether, very, very attractive.

And I fell in love with him.

He made me think about what my mother had hinted at the day I graduated; about marriage, and having a family. He made me wonder if it was not time to settle down… He made me wonder what it would be like if he were my own.

It wasn’t the same for him though. At first, he was a bit reserved, though considerate and polite; he would watch me as I spoke to his mother and aunt, and sometimes give me a quick smile. I used to wait for those moments, pretending I wasn’t looking at him, but he quickly saw through that and would laugh when he caught me peeping. I don’t believe those eyes missed a thing that was happening around him. I was constantly astonished at his perceptiveness and intelligence.

He never could pronounce my name properly, but I loved the way he spoke my name. When he saw me at the door, I’d strain to hear as he went to call his aunt and announce my arrival.

But it was the day of the interview that made all the difference.

It was horrible, that interview! The interviewer seemed to have some sadistic pleasure in breaking me down. By the end of it, I was sure I was hopelessly stupid, worthless and would never get a job or be anything in life. It was in total dejection that I rang the bell at Nalini deedi’s place, and Rishi came to the door. He looked at my face and for a moment, his face seemed to mirror my unhappiness. When I sat on the sofa, he hesitated a moment, and then sat by me. Then he cautiously patted my hand and gave me a smile.

I was so touched! I smiled at him through my tears and the relief on his face was obvious. What odd places one finds empathy and understanding! He waited a few moments, while I regained my composure. Then as usual, he went in to call his mother. At the door, he turned and smiled, as if sharing a secret. My heart almost burst with happiness. All my gloom was wiped away as if by magic!

That day I noticed him observing me closely and as I was leaving, I saw him looking at me through the window. On an impulse, I turned and waved. And to my joy, he smiled and waved back.

We became friends after that. He’d look out the window and smile delightedly when he saw me. Once he got acquainted, he began to talk to me. I could listen to him for hours together. His mother would smile as she saw us sitting together. Sometimes, we went out together, and his lively interest revived the old sights of the city in my eyes too.

I didn't know how long it would last, but I did not care. I woke up each day looking forward to seeing him, went to sleep smiling over something he had said. I grabbed each moment like a precious jewel, to be stored away as memories.

Three weeks flew by and then--it was over. I thought my heart would break when I saw tears in his usually smiling eyes. I watched from the door sadly as they got ready to leave, wondering if I would ever see him again. I had always known he would have to go, but it was heart-wrenching whenit happened.

Just as he was about to get into the taxi, he turned, ran to me and hugged me tightly. He wiped the tears from my eyes and kissed me on both cheeks.

Then he pushed his favorite red car into my hands and lisped with all the fervor of his three years “Thanthechi, thish ish for you. I luvv you velly much.”

“I love you too, Rishi kutta”

And I still do. He just called me to tell me about his first day at school.

No matter how many loves I have in my life, he will always be my very first true love.

5 Comments:

At July 07, 2005 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was sweet and so true. I am highly critical of the male sex and it is at times like this that I can let go and just give in to love :D I didnt know you had been reading my blog for a while. Thanks for commenting!

 
At July 07, 2005 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me, you sound like a prospective novelist and short story writer. With a flick of the pen (or these days, a tap of the computer keys) only few can create these fictional worlds that often teach us so much about our real-world lives.
I also like your compilation of poems, simply marvelous.
Will check back often to read what you write.

Take care

Regards

-Samira

 
At July 07, 2005 11:20 PM, Blogger fareen said...

I'm so proud to have two of my favorite bloggers visit :-) :-). Thank u so much for dropping by and for your comments!

 
At July 18, 2005 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waw Fareen .. I like your style …very TRUE in words …shows your innocent mind …shows your true feelings towards anybody .and with out fear expressing your views … Good work …keep going
Anonymous who knows you.

 
At October 20, 2005 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"PENNU KAANAL" ... u a mallu ??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home