Thursday, July 07, 2005

My Book List!!

My Book List… not comprehensive, but definitely the cream of it… :-)

On my list of Forever Loves:

To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee
The Prophet – Khalil Gibran
The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
The Moon and Sixpence – Somerset Maugham
Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brönte
Pride And Prejudice – Jane Austen
Illusions – Richard Bach
The Agony and the Ecstasy-Irving Stone
Mill on the Floss – George Eliot
Gitanjali – Rabindranath Tagore
The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
Letters to Peking - Pearl S. Buck
The Old Man And the Sea- Earnest Hemmingway
The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand
Ramayana – Different translations
Mahabharatha – Different Translations
Greek and Roman Mythology ( Illiad, Odeyssey and other legends)

My "Like" list:

Three Men in a Boat /Three Men on a Bummel – Jerome K. Jerome
Lust for Life –Irving Stone
Harry Potter ( the whole series)- J.K.Rowling
The Bridge across Forever/One – Richard Bach
An Equal Music- Vikram Seth
The Life of Pi -Yann Martel
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams
The Village by The Sea – Anita Desai
Malgudi Days/Stories for the Innocent- R.K. Narayan


Childhood Loves ( I still occasionally sneak a peek!) :

The Diary of Anne Frank- Anne Frank
Louisa May Alcott ( all of hers’)
Lucy Maud Montgomery ( all of hers too)
The Secret garden, A little Princess, The Lost Prince , Little Lord Fauntleroy– Frances Burnett
The Railway Children , Five Children and it etc- E. Nesbit
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm – Kate Douglas Wiggin
Pollyanna – Eleanor H. Porter
Uncle Tom’s Cabin -Harriet Beecher Stowe
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes ( the whole collection!!)


Poetry/Short Story/Drama and Miscellaneaus stuff:

Waiting for Godot – (Drama) – Samuel Beckett
All My Sons ( Drama) – Arthur Miller
Poetry by Percy Blythe Shelley (Ode to the West Wind)
Poetry By Robert Frost (The Road not taken)
Short stories- O. Henry
Poetry/Prose by Rabindranath Tagore
Poetry/Prose By Khalil Gibran
Linda Goodman’s Books on Astrology (I have a fascination for the super-natural)
Books on Occult and psychic phenomenon (same reason as above)


Ambivalent—I respect them, they are good—but disturbing is some way…

Satanic Verses/ Midnight’s Children/The Ground Beneath Her Feet – Salman Rushdie ( He muddles up my sense of right , wrong, good, evil , love and hate--but you can hate it and still not be able to ignore it!!)
1984- George Orwell ( The most pessimistic book I have ever read, put me in the blues for a week, but powerfully presented)

Not on my list:

God of Small Things – Arundhati Roy. ( Her language and style of writing is unique, but I did not like her story...Ok sue me! :-) )

3 Comments:

At July 08, 2005 11:16 AM, Blogger fareen said...

Jeeves, that's definitely on my wishlist.I've not got my hands on it yet :-(

Ten? I tried, but i just cud not leave any out ... :-(

 
At July 18, 2005 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that all FAREEEN …no i don’t think so..there are a lot.. you missed out….check again your LIST…..Fareen
Anonymous who knows you

 
At December 15, 2005 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happened to chance by your blog while looking up my friend (megh)'s "soulfull" -

readin urs makes me sure these are a couple of readings u will LOVE -
1. Catcher in the rye -by J.D. Salinger
2. Poems - by Rumi, Jalaluddin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home