Monday, July 11, 2005

Short Sketch--Homecoming

As soon as they heard my footsteps, my sisters rushed to where I stood. They stopped, a few feet away, as if unable to believe it. Then they rushed back to tell Mother that I had come…

And I closed my eyes.

Why had I stayed away so long?

This is where I have always found Peace. This is where I could close my eyes and breathe deeply… fully; free of the frantic pace of the rat race. This is where I could bask in the freedom of my soul, in an understanding that transcends explanation.

Why is it that I come here so rarely? Why do I stay away for months together, until some inexplicable force drags me here?

Because I cannot stand it. I cannot stand the realization that life is slipping away from my control. I cannot stand the Truth that this terrible sprint for survival and frenzied grabbing of material goals is not where I find contentment. I cannot stand the comprehension that in the quest to win, I was losing more than I could afford to.

I cannot stand the insight that pierces my blindness and shows me, so simply, what I really love.

I cannot stand the Happiness I find here.

I felt the caress of my Mother’s fingers through my hair, her soft kiss upon my forehead. I felt the salt of her tears upon my lips. I sensed her love and her reproach, her tenderness and her pain.

My tears mingled with hers as my defenses crumbled. I sat down for a minute, letting myself be, letting go of the heavy chains that I had tied myself to. I wondered why I never realized what a burden I always carried, until I set it down.

I wondered why I had to go back.

Why couldn’t I just give myself over to her gentle embrace? Why couldn’t I be as my sisters and cousins were, always bound together, yet always free?

But, even as I heard her song of welcome and my soul sang along with her, I knew it was not yet time. My chains still claimed me as their slave; I had yet to earn my freedom.

For a long while, I sat there, enveloped in a sense of tranquility. For a long while, I watched my sisters frolic and dance, beckoning me to their midst.

A long while I sat at the seashore, a Mermaid born with legs, a soul-child of the Sea, a sister of the waves and sea creatures, listening to their calls, swathed in a sense of belonging so deep, that to step away was soul-wrenching.

And then I walked back, the sea’s music still echoing in my soul, back to a world that claimed me as one of their own, and yet did not know me at all.

3 Comments:

At July 18, 2005 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Away from home away from loved ones ….why… why always ….is that freedom we all are looking …it might be coz we are so much attached to them even for days apart it hurts us a lot. …..i would say PAIN of love ….good work fareen
Anonymous who knows you

 
At July 18, 2005 3:59 AM, Blogger fareen said...

jeeves--u a mallu too?
phil--i'm rather disappointed that u so widely missed the mark.

The "home" I implied was the seashore, the "mother" was the Sea, the waves were the "sisters". Anywhere near the Sea would feel like Home to me.

 
At July 09, 2007 10:12 PM, Blogger Priyanka Raha said...

Wow! really deep.
keep it up

 

Post a Comment

<< Home