Saturday, July 07, 2007

Random Thoughts -- Nostalgia

It’s not events that make a memory special. I remember the day I achieved something or lost something, but it does not bring to my heart the bitter-sweet pang of nostalgia. It is the ordinary days I remember, the secrets shared under the tree near the chapel, the long walks around the school ground with my best friend at school, talking about just everything; stargazing, counting shooting stars, and sharing so much without really talking, with a friend, lying on the wide parapet of our hostel terrace, sitting with my dad late into the night after my mom had slept, talking about whatever happened in the day.

And even of days special, the moments we remember are not the ones we expect to remember… I remember going with my brother for a movie for the first time: I don’t remember the movie or who acted in it; I remember the moment where he protectively put his hand around me on the way, as if he were my elder brother rather than my younger. The day I was out with a friend, I saw a great many interesting things, but I remember most the time we sat on the grass… and simply talked. Sometimes it is less that even that; a sentence, a word, a look, a smile, a gesture of caring, the whiff of a perfume, the aroma of a home cooked meal, the laughter, the teasing… The things I took for granted come back to me from the past, and I look at them and wonder why I never realized how precious they were. The most vivid of memories are of the most commonplace things, and it is then that I realize how much I had misjudged them.

We build these patterns and move on , and when we look back, we realize that the colors that we had thought would last have faded away, and yet the threads reveal the depth of the hues we had never noticed, the strength of the thin strands of gold and silver that we had not perceived before. When we look back, the pattern we see is not the one we expected to see.

But it is more beautiful than we could have ever expected.

3 Comments:

At July 07, 2007 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true! Yes, often those common small things which we ignored as a pass, were the wonderful moments in life and what we thought were great, never were that nostaligic..!

When we look back , wonder how such small moments in life brings such happy feelings..and why we did not take an introspection earlier to realise it then!! Maybe it is the ability of life's experiences which make us more wiser..year by year to realise the true worth!!

Another good post..!! Carries us to the treasures of past memmories, to search for those good old moments to cherish...!!

 
At July 07, 2007 5:27 AM, Blogger Ash said...

There might be a lot of memories that will be stored in our mind.. but wat comes to our mind first is the one that our mind chooses to pick among them..
Every single thought that comes to the mind is triggered by some event or a chain of events results in the final thought which might be either sweet or bitter.
How all the thoughts are united is not necessarly visible to that person, when u find that it means you are completely in control of all your memories :-)

 
At July 07, 2007 5:46 AM, Blogger Ash said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home